The SWG Restoration Development Team is always looking for talent to support our efforts.
This article provides a brief summary of what skills you may need for success.
Generally, for all roles:
Arists and Designers
Some experience with one or more of the following...
- A general background and understanding of computers
- A general understanding of MMORPGs and Star Wars Galaxies
- Experience with a 2D image creation and manipulation software like Photoshop.
- Experience building or modifying meshes and 3D objects with tools like Blender, Maya, or 3DS Max.
- Experience creating or manipulating textures, shaders, materials, and UV maps for objects.
Engine and Service Development
- History with scripting (we use Java) but any similar mid-level language that can demonstrate your competency with basic programming
- History using third-party tools as a middle-man to making content of some kind (e.g. Photoshop, a Content Builder or Quest Editor, etc.)
- A creative and collaborative approach to developing on new ideas through creating things like worlds, spawn areas, quests, conversations, ambient events, etc.
- Intermediate Java or Moderate C++ Knowledge and/or Experience (or, better, a combination of the two)
- A strong foundation in object oriented programming concepts
- It is helpful, but not necessary, to have a comprehensive understanding of programming concepts used in gaming (concurrency, multi-threaded applications, communication protocols, etc.)
- Knowledge of Computer Graphics, 3D Geometry, and Discrete Mathematics, is very helpful but not required
- Intermediate PHP (with preferred familiarity of its use in platforms and tools we use, including XenForo and Mantis.
- Front-End experience HTML/CSS is not required but helpful
- Preferably, some understanding of base web technologies and frameworks, like SSL, DNS, FTP, etc.
Use our Contributor Application and just select "Something Else" and reference development skills. We look forward to hearing from you and thanks for your interest!